🌊 CE-elect's administration revealed
It's also Carlos' last High Tide (for now) 😢
Happy Friday, fellow Tide readers – hope everyone had a great week!
Before anything else, I thought this would be the best time to share that this is my final time writing Tide for you guys – or, at least, the last one I’ll be doing for quite a while (so soon, I know 😢).
That said, I hope ya’ll enjoyed reading all those GIF-filled Tides as much as I enjoyed writing them! Truly was an honour. GIFs are fun to find. But don’t worry, I’ll see to it Cyril, Jasmine, and Charlotte include even more relatable GIFs in the future High Tides they bring you! 😉
On Today’s Tide
Authorities to start carrying out inspections for third phase of vaccine pass
Yet another new cluster at a bar in Central
Politics | A sneak peek into Conductor Lee’s incoming administration 👀
Behind the paywall:
Education | Three HK universities rank among top 10 tertiary institutions in Asia
Crime | Former pro-democracy lawmaker Ted Hui convicted of contempt of court
Society | Cyberbullying cases in HK schools increase by 95 per cent
Become a premium subscriber for just $8US a month – extra daily news and weekend roundups!
End of the line for RATs?
A local infectious disease expert yesterday said that the government should consider no longer recognising RATs (rapid antigen test results) for COVID-19, noting that false positive results from RATs are “rare” and suspects some residents might be submitting results from months earlier.
Hong Kong should instead, as Wilson Lam from the Hong Kong Society for Infectious Diseases put it, only recognise positive COVID-19 cases confirmed through PCR tests.
New cases: 489 (170 PCR, 319 RAT, 65 imported)
Total cases: 1,213,693
New deaths: 1 (0 backlog)
Total deaths: 9,380
Other COVID-19 updates:
• Authorities have begun carrying out inspections and enforcement actions at premises where visitors must show proof of three COVID-19 doses, as required under the third phase of the vaccine pass scheme.
• The CHP yesterday detected a new cluster at a third bar in Central – LINQ on Pottinger Street, where at least 18 people aged 17 to 58 came down with COVID-19.
• Health authorities uncovered 20 COVID-19 cases during compulsory testing exercises for restricted areas in Tuen Mun and Aberdeen yesterday.
A sneak peek into Conductor Lee’s administration 👀
Chief Executive-elect Conductor (I mean John) Lee has finalised his selection of ministers for high-ranking roles in his incoming administration, and is expected to make a formal announcement in the second half of this month. Here’s a quick roundup of the (admittedly rumoured - don’t sue us) fresh (and familiar) faces for Lee’s government:
• Eric Chan, director of the Chief Executive’s Office, is tipped to become Lee’s Chief Secretary.
• Current Justice Secretary Teresa Cheng and incumbent Financial Secretary Paul Chan are expected continue serving in their respective roles.
• Secretary for Food and Health Sophia Chan may be replaced by Lo Chung-mau, the Chief Executive of The University of Hong Kong-Shenzhen Hospital.
• Secretary for Development, Michael Wong, likely to take up a newly-added position within the government restructuring plan as Deputy Financial Secretary.
• Chris Tang will remain as Secretary for Security under Lee’s administration.
Events and deals
Support Harbour Times, our friends, and partners by attending these events! Let everyone know who sent you by tagging @harbourtimes.
ReThink returns 5-6 Oct
Read our full press release on the event here.
As a High Tide subscriber, you get to enjoy super-early-bird prices until 4 Sep (already expired for everyone else in early May).
Sign up here using the code HTP22 for 25% off!
As chosen by our LoTW Luke Samtani: I follow a vegan plant-based diet, undoubtedly, I'm excited about Hong Kong's biggest and most diverse vegetarian and green living expo that will take place in June.
When: 10-12 Jun (latest rescheduling)
Entry: Free (advanced registration; $20 walk-in)
This is the end of your free time on Tide.
Become a Premium subscriber to see what lies behind the paywall:
Can’t go Premium yet? No worries, there are other ways to support High Tide:
Buy us a Ko-fi
Send us a one-time donation via PayPal
Share High Tide – it’s free!
Open a business account with Neat and get a US$65 welcome gift (we get $65 in return)!
Keep reading with a 7-day free trial
Subscribe to High Tide to keep reading this post and get 7 days of free access to the full post archives.